Electrical Safety

Preventing Circuit Overloads

No Comments

Have you ever caused an electrical surge overload to occur in your house? Maybe you turned on the iron while the coffee maker, dishwasher and toaster were already on. Then suddenly, bam! everything in the kitchen goes off. Most of us have had a circuit overload happen in our home or workplace at one point or another.

What causes a circuit overload to happen? Our homes are made up of networks of wires that carry electricity from the service panel to outlets throughout the house. These wires are designed to carry a fixed amount of current. A number of appliances plugged into the same circuit can draw more current than the wires can carry. The overloaded wires heat up and could cause a fire.

Fortunately, safeguards in the form of fuses or circuit breakers are built into electrical systems. They are designed to sense power overloads and interrupt the flow of electricity.

Of course, replacing a fuse or resetting a circuit breaker may restore power temporarily, but it will not correct the overload problem. Before attempting to restore power, unplug all lamps and appliances from the circuit. If the circuit fails immediately after power is restored, the problem could be in the circuit system itself. In this case, it’s best to leave the power off and consult a professional electrician to trouble-shoot.

Residential electrical systems can be complex and, unless you have special knowledge and experience we strongly recommend that you do not handle electrical problems on your own. If your home is suffering from electricity complications or hazards, give Electrical Pros a call today. 770-882-2150

Menu